What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is an issue that affects a lot of people globally. This is because some people are used to certain foods which they cannot avoid. Equally, a certain percentage of the world’s population finds it difficult to go to the gym on a daily basis. Due to these hinderences, many people are overweight. However, in the recent years, gastric sleeve surgery has been introduced to facilitate weight loss. This better body bariatric surgical process reduces the stomach to about 15% of its original size. The result is a tube-like structure or Sleeve.
How is Gastric Sleeve Surgery Performed?
This process involves the longitudinal resection of the stomach from the antrum to the fundus.
Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
1. Helps in reducing hunger. During this surgery, a certain portion of the stomach containing ghrelin (hunger-inducing hormone) is removed thereby reducing hunger.
2. It has a shorter operating time as compared to gastric bypass.
3. The absence of dumping syndrome. This is because the intestines remain untouched therefore the sugars have time to get digested.
4. There are no foreign objects left in the body.
5. This process does not reroute the intestines.
What are some of the complications that may arise from Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Esophageal pain
- Damage to the vagus nerve causing constant nausea
- Blood clotting
- Aversion to food
- Sleeve leaking
- Wound infection
This process varies among individuals. It is painful to some patients whereas to some it is not painful. Some gastric sleeve surgery may be done on patients and they get discharged on the same day whereas other cases some may be required to stay back 1-2 days as they recover. Below are some of the instructions that one needs to follow upon being discharged.
- You should take liquids frequently. This is important in order to avoid dehydration.
- Bowel movement may be difficult of painful especially in the first week due to the medications. This should not worry you too much but in case it persists it’s important to consult the surgeon.
- Medication should be taken faithfully.
- Exercise. What is mostly encouraged is walking because it will help in the healing process. However, do not carry heavy loads because it can put pressure on the stitches.
- It is not recommended for one to bathe while sitting in the bathtub for the first 3 weeks. On the other side what is recommended is showering( upright manner)
- One should not resume work immediately. The minimum period could be 2-4 weeks depending on the jobs physicality.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery is a delicate procedure that requires attention even after being discharged. Just in case you experience excess pain, increased nausea, inability to swallow liquids among others, do not hesitate to contact your surgeon.